How to connect to your website using FileZilla - Secure FTP - TLS/SSL (on Windows8 or Windows7)
Posted by WestNIC Support on 07 December 2012 01:36 AM
You can manage files (images, html pages, php etc) via cPanel File Manager or free FTP client called "FileZilla" installed on Windows platform. You may download this program for free directly from script vendor: http://filezilla-project.org/. WestNIC recommends using FTP over SSL method where data transfers securely via proper 256-bit SSL (Security Certificate installed on the server).
Once installed, please make sure that you have the following:
- username to FTP (same as cPanel username). If you forgot cPanel username, you can retrieve it immediately via main control panel (WHM) then select "Account Information > List Accounts > type domain name".
- password to FTP (same as cPanel password). If you forgot password to cPanel/FTP, please login to main control panel (WHM) then select "Account Functions > Password Modification". Please use password generator tool. Do not use own passwords like "bobby123?". It's insecure, no matter how it looks like.
- full server ID or hostname, looks like "server_id.westnic.net". You can find full server ID within cPanel or WHM links, simply type domain.com/cpanel and it will redirect to server ID or hostname.
1. Please open FileZilla FTP client.
2. On the top menu please select File > Site Manager. Site Manager will appear on the new window. Inside Site Manager you can add as many websites as you wish.
3. Now, let's add our new website. In this tutorial we're going to call it "mywest.net". Inside Site Manager, please double click on "New site" under "Select entry" then add your website.
4. Inside "Host" field please enter FULL server ID or hostname. You can find hostname via domain.com/cpanel. Example: when we type mywest.net/cpanel, it redirects to "puma.westnic.net" - this his hostname for mywest.net.
5. Under "Encryption" please select "Require Explicit FTP over SSL"
6. Under "Logon type" please select "Normal".
7. Inside "User:" field please enter your username to the FTP (same as cPanel username).
8. Inside "Password" field please enter your password. Password must be strong (at least 12 chars), created via Password Generator Tool. Never use own passwords.
9. In the "Comments" field please describe site details. If you manage over 10 websites, it's useful. Overall, it should look like this:
10. Right after your click "connect" button, you will see SSL message:
Please click "OK" button. New window with File Structure will open. On the left you'll see your local files and disks, on the right server files and folders. Your folder is public_html - all content (images, php, cgi, perl etc) goes there. Please click on public_html folder when you ready to transfer new content from local computer or edit existing pages/files:
Please note: if you receive error "530 Login authentication failed - Critical error - Could not connect to server", please verify username and password. Do not try to reconnect multiple times with wrong password or username - your IP will be blocked/blacklisted automatically! You can always reset password via main control panel, WHM > Account Functions > Password Modification.